Choosing A Gym - 10 Things To Look Out For
Making the commitment to get health is a big step - and so is picking the right gym for you. There are several
things to consider when looking for your first gym, 10 to be exact.
These 10 important things to look out for can make or break your gym experience. Read on to find out what you
should be looking for in a gym!
1. Location: this is the most important factor. It is essential that you pick a gym that is convenient and
easily accessible if you are going to succeed at your workout
A great way location for a gym is one that is on your way to or from work. This way, you don’t have to fight
through traffic to get to the gym and back. If you work from home or are a stay-at-home parent, consider gyms that
are walking distance away. This gives you the opportunity to get some extra exercises in and go to the gym on your
2. Cost: a very big factor to consider. While your health is priceless, it can sometimes be impossible to
shell out $100 a month for a membership. Consult your budget and figure out what you are willing to spend.
Also, consider that most gyms require a contract. You should be absolutely sure that you are willing to commit
to it (as gyms are notoriously known for being impossible to cancel contracts with).
3. Equipment: Does you gym have all the equipment you need to get a good workout in? Does it look well
maintained? Take a look around the gym before you decide to get a feel for the atmosphere and equipment
4. Hours of Operation: this is a great thing to know before you pick a gym. Some gyms are open 24/7 while
others are only open at certain times of the day. Make sure that this fits your schedule so that you can
exercise at the best time of the day for
5. Personal Trainers: does the gym you’re looking at offer personal training sessions? If you think
you might be interested in this you should find out how much it costs and the services you get by signing up. If
possible, see if they have a free trial session to get a hang of the trainers and the workouts.
6. Group Fitness Classes: if this seems like something you’d be interested in, look for gyms that offer
these classes. Often, these classes can be great ways to stay motivated and have fun while exercising. Some gyms
offer free introductory classes, so inquire about those. Also, be sure to ask whether there is an additional fee
for taking these classes.
7. Cleanliness: take a look around the gym and if possible, the locker room. Since you will be spending a
good amount of time in the gym it is important to make sure that equipment and locker rooms are properly
8. Membership Demographic: What type of people go to the gym? Some people prefer a co-ed gym while some
women prefer an all female gym. Additionally, if you want to train for strongman competitions or powerlifting, I
would suggest finding a gym specifically tailored to that.
9. Additional Benefits: these can include massages, tanning, nutrition counseling and fitness testing.
10. Membership Privileges: do you get extra things just for being a member? This can include discounts on
clothing, tanning, or other services and is worth looking into.
As you can tell, there are a lot of things to think about before joining a gym. Consider all of these points and
don’t rush the decision - you’ll find the perfect gym in no time!