How To Build Bigger Shoulders
Nothing complements the appearance of an athletic body more than a good set of shoulders. Some people have a
genetic predisposition for wide shoulders, but most of us have to work to build our deltoids to get that wide,
thick look of well developed shoulder muscles.
Parts of the shoulders get worked a lot when we perform chest exercises like the bench press, incline press and
But, it is the frontal deltoid that gets all the work, leaving the outer and rear delts underdeveloped.
It is the outer deltoid that gives a shoulder that rounded muscular look. The width of shoulders is enhanced by
well developed outer deltoids.
The rear delts require some specific exercises to develop. But, the effort is worth the trouble.
A great pair of well-developed shoulders can look like someone sliced a melon in half and clapped each part onto
your shoulder joints.
Even in repose, good deltoid development is very evident and sets off your whole upper body.
workout exercises can be broken down into two parts: Front and outer deltoid and read deltoid.
It is important to remember when learning how to build shoulders
and in your shoulder workout, like those exercises you perform for all of you muscle groups, that you should
"workout like a bodybuilder, not a weight-lifter."
You are not trying to see how much weight you can lift, rather you are trying to lift weights for eight to ten
reps for three or more sets, at your maximum workload.
Weight is important in as much as it provides the resistance you need to breakdown the muscle tissue. You should
not be trying to lift your maximum weight for one repetition.
Rather you should be lifting a weight you have to struggle with to get that eighth rep.
Front and Outer Deltoid Exercises
* Dumbbell Presses - Many advanced bodybuilders feel that dumbbells give a better range of movement and they add
these as well as using barbell presses in their regimen.
Dumbbell presses may be performed seated or standing. You may alternate the presses or perform both sides
A combination of several of these positions will give your front and outer deltoids a good workout.
* Barbell Presses - These may be performed seated or standing, from the chest upwards or from behind your neck.
Both of the latter should be incorporated in your workout.
* Upright Rowing - This exercised may be performed with either dumbbells or a barbell. Your trapezius also gets
worked with this exercise.
They may also be performed (with a barbell) with a narrow or wide grip, though many champions feel that the wide
grip works the delts better.
* Front Barbell Raises - With lighter weights you should raise the bar straight overhead. When you move up to
heavier sets, raise the bar to shoulder level. Keep your arms straight throughout the movement.
Additionally, you should also perform several sets of these raises on an incline board for added muscle shaping.
This will help you build big deltoids and get a V shaped upper body.
* Barbell Raises - Unlike the barbell raises for front and outer delts, rear delt exercises should be performed
These may be done using an incline board, but you should be prone (face down) and raise the bar from a hanging
position to parallel to the ground.
Performed on a bench, you should raise the barbell from the ground to parallel to the floor. The bench should
have long enough legs to allow you hang your arms down without touching the floor.
* Bent Over Dumbbell Raises - These may be performed with simultaneous or alternate movements. Perform three
sets moving the arms forward, then three sets moving the arms to the side.
When you reach heavier weights, you should support your upper body by placing your forehead on a bench. This
allows you to focus on the delts and avoid swinging the weights (cheating).
* Across the Body Deltoid Raise - Assume a position on your side on the mat, legs spread for stability. Grasp
the dumbbell with the hand on the free arm and raise it overhead, keeping your arm straight. Switch sides after ten
* Bent Over Dumbbell Flies - Similar to bent over dumbbell raise, except you keep your arms bent throughout the
If you are in a hurry and want to find one of the most optimal techniques for building strong, shapely
shoulders, go straight to:
And learn the secrets of the pros!